Friday, 23 January 2015

THE OFFICIAL 2015 TBR PILE CHALLENGE - WATCHMEN


First off the shelf for The Official 2015 TBR Pile Challenge is Watchmen, written by Alan Moore and illustrated Dave Gibbons, and published in 1986 by DC Comics.

Watchmen is one of those books I'd heard about that was a 'must read' book. I bought it about eight years ago and I'm wondering why I waited thing long to read it.

Set in 1985, it follows a group of masked heroes fighting to protect New York City against crime under the threat of nuclear war with the Soviet Union.

The story opens with the murder of one of the heroes and follows Rorschach, the vigilante outsider, who wants to get to the truth. The hero characters include: Rorschach, The Comedian, Doctor Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Nite Owl, and Ozymandias.

I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy reading this graphic novel, and I was surprised how quickly I got used to the format. The story flowed easily, full of depth with backstory coming through without intruding on the present. The illustrations connected the text and I found it wasn't something I skimmed over. There was a lot of information in the panels that was part of the story telling.

Having only read a few comics and annuals as a child, I can say that Watchmen hasn't deterred me from reading other graphic novels in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment