Thursday, 27 March 2014

TO TWEET OR NOT TO TWEET.

TWIT TWOO INDEED

Hmm? Twitter? Why not?

You hear people talking about Twitter as if it's beneath them. That might sound a little harsh, but some say why would you, or should you share your daily thoughts with the world? It's meaningless. Why not? Who cares if you're having a cup of coffee in Starbucks, or the cat's been sick on your manuscript? Everyone and no one. People can read it and choice to reply or share your news, but at the end of day, what matters is the purpose and significance of the tweet.

I recently joined Twitter following a link from Project UKYA, run by Lucy Powrie. She host #ukyachat where writers, reader, publishers and agents connect by fingertip conversation. You feel possessed trying to keep up with all the talk, but once you get used to it it really is fun. It's an informal gathering without the noise. Bonus!

For an unpublished writer (me) there's a wealth of information and opportunities that I wasn't aware of: e.g. #askagent - ask an agent question; #nestpitch - pitch competition, and #fp - FridayPhrases microfiction, to name but a few.

Of course, there's the casual chat with a favourite author.

Have you converted to Twitter, or fled kicking and screaming back to the real world?


1 comment:

  1. I was reluctant to join Twitter at first. I saw it as a poor FB substitute with too many limitations (word count, over-simplified layout, no pictures [back in the day]), but I joined anyway just to have my fingers in as many pies as possible. I was wrong – Twitter was, and still is, very useful. I’ve made some of my best contacts there, and found events and information I wouldn’t have found anywhere else. Long live Twitter!

    ReplyDelete