Wednesday, 12 March 2014

IN SUPPORT OF KINDLE

I remember saying that I would never get a Kindle, but I bought one. I've had it a few years now and love it. It came into it's own the other week when I was recovering from a migraine. Lying on the sofa, trying to relax, I needed to something to pass the time. I couldn't watch t.v. or read, which I really wanted to do. Then I remembered that I could switch the novel to text-to-speech mode. I closed my eyes and listened to The Starter House by Sonja Condit, a chilling ghost story set in a house.

The text-to-speech mode has other great uses. When I'd finished editing The Junk Room, I emailed a copy to the Kindle and spent a few hours listening to my first complete MS. To read it is one thing, but to hear it spoken really changes the way the story shapes in your mind. I will admit, I felt a little choked.

So it's a thumbs up for Kindle, but not a dismissal of the lovely hardback or paperback. Oh no. It's a great alternative though. Long may they live together sharing their USP's.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean, Debbie. I purchased my Kindle Fire a few years back, but I rarely picked it up. Slowly, but surely, I began purchasing books that might not have that "cozy hardcover" look to them. Now I purchase a hardcover book when I know I want to add it to my library. I have not yet used the text-to-speech mode on my reader, but my critique partner has been urging me to do the very thing you mentioned about your manuscript. Great post! I hope the bulbs are blooming in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check it out, Victoria.

      Don't remind me about the garden, it really needs weeding.

      Delete
  2. That's great that kindle's able to be a talking book too! You know I'd not say no to one if someone got me it for my birthday! LOL!! p.s. hope the migraine doesn't return and you have a great relaxing weekend! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete