Sunday, 26 May 2013

HELLO Oh Heck!

Has it really been a month since I've blogged? I've been about, though I do need to catch up on reading blog posts.

A quick round-up, then, of what I've been doing.

It's a year tomorrow since I joined The Classics Club, where I set myself the challenge to read 50 classsics in 5 years. I've read 10. This coming year I hope to read Jane Austen and all the books in the Chronicles of Narnia.


I got some feedback from The Wind Knows My Name. I won't go in to detail about the crit, except to say, I know it needs revision, revision, revision!


On a positive note. The SCBWI workshop, The Revision Game, run by author, Sara Grant, was excellent. I got so much from the day. It was nerve-racking sharing an extract from our MS, but the feedback was positive and I feel encouraged to move on further with my revision of The Junk Room.

One of the things we did was to come up with a pitch for our MS using movies or TV programmes. I chose Jonathan Creek meets Tales of the Unexpected. Or, to bring it up to date, it'd be Gravity Falls meets Warehouse 13.

So, I'm currently working on The Junk Room and will be attending the second part of the workshop in October.

Read loads, of course.


Finally got out and sowed some veggie seeds. Now that the sun has made an appearance - sh! not so loud - I might get to eat some lovely salad this summer.



6 comments:

  1. Debbie, I, too, need to catch up on visiting the blogs of my friends. I'm so glad you had an awesome time at the SCBWI event you recently attended. The times I've been lucky enough to attend one of their events has always been great. Congratulations on your accomplishment with the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely Debbie!!! Has it really been a month!?! Oh but what a month you've had!! Lots of reading, lots of serious writerly things to do and gardening!! Oh let's hope the weather holds up for a bit!! Happy Monday! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Kitty, the weather held on Monday for the local festival. Warmer times ahead, I hope.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to read classics! I have read loads in the past two years thanks to my English study. Joined a Shakespeare bookclub because it is so hard to read them on your own (aka to force yourself to read that and not the new Dan Brown etc.) 10 classics is still pretty great!

    It sounds like you had an amazing day! Have fun revising! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite so many things happening with you, I admire how you stayed true to your pledge to read classics through The Classics Club. I have long given up on The Classics Club; I lack the patience. I read at my own pace now and I'm recently doing a lot of personal posts rather than book reviews, even though I missed doing the latter. Your veggie seeds made me smile; it reminds me of The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun. May you have a healthy harvest this summer!

    //Nancy

    ReplyDelete