Wednesday, 2 January 2013

HELLO A Year In Books

In 2012, I read 28 books. The total would have been more, but there were 2 that I had trouble with. I will name the books and there authors, and the reasons for abandoning the stories (may be for now).

I bought Thorn In My Side, by Sheila Quigley, who was promoting her books in a well known bookshop. I'm afraid it was the typos and changes in font that stopped me in my tracks. Is that bad of me, or should I have over looked it? Well, I couldn't. It stopped the follow of the read. Because I've been editing my own work, these errors just leapt out at me like the Alice's 'White Rabbit.' Instead of 'I'm late!' He's yelling 'A mistake!'

The other book was Casual Vacancy, by J.K.Rowling. I read a great chunk of this book, but was tired of the slow pace. Was I expecting something similar to her previous adventures? Not really. There are lots of characters to get your head around, and I was waiting for the 'umph' part, the kick that tells you you're in the story, but it didn't happen for me.

On a brighter note, I enjoyed the ones I placed in the 2012 Bookworm Library.



MY FAVOURITE BOOK
AND RE-READ


FAVOURITE AUTHOR
Every February, Sophie Hannah releases a new psychological thriller, which I pre-order and read in a couple of sittings. I love how the chapters are headed with dates from the perspective of the MC and investigating detectives; Simon Waterhouse and Charlie Zailer. There's is an awkward relationship that runs through all the books. 

I discovered Sophie's work after buying her short story collection: The Fantastic Book Of Everybody's Secrets. I've been a fan ever since.




DEBUT AUTHOR
What a delightful read about ten year old Judith, who gets bullied at school, but finds solace in creating her own world out of rubbish. However, to her, one man's rubbish is another man's treasure.



CHILLER THRILLER
Another old favourite author who knows how to scare the beejeebers out of you. I'd have bought the book anyway, but the inside quote by Herbert stated that there are some basic truths in the story that the reader has to decide for themselves what was the truth. That is a great hook.

The story is set in a priory-type refuge for the wealthy and famous, and there are a lot of high profile names mentioned in the book. I was left thinking: what if...?



NEW FAN
It was reviewed by Caroline Smailes on her blog, and I bought the book on Kindle to read on my summer holiday, and I wasn't disappointed. I'm glad Nikki has other books for me to discover.

When Emma starts a music school she meets the popular twins who influence her life in more ways than one. This is a delicious spooky story.


NON-FICTION
I've read more than the two non-fiction books in my library, but I've only added the ones that I've finish. I do like to dip in and out of these sort of books. 

David Icke is a writer of conspiracy books. I've read them all and have found a lot of useful and meaningful information amongst his theories. Of course, there was a time in the early 1990's when he was ridiculed for being outspoken about his ideas, some of which seemed to come from a sci-fi film plot, and he was dubbed 'the son of God.' Times have changed and a lot of people are 'thinking,' and becoming broad minded. (I hope).


SURPRISE FIND
Who knew that the writer of A Room With A View wrote sci-fi? I can't remember how I found out about this book; a short story. I love how these writers who project their minds in to the future and seemingly create a world, for example, where life revolves around the internet and tablet devices. This is what E.M. Foster wrote in 1909, except the tablet is 'the speaking apparatus' that is used to instant message/conference ideas. Sounds a bit like facebook, doesn't it?


I have lots of books to enjoy reading this year. Some are for The Classics Club where I am reading 50 books in 5 years (2012-2017). Others are from my TBR shelf on my Kindle, and from a real shelf in my living room.



9 comments:

  1. Why do people publish without having their work proofread and polished to beyond an inch of its life!?!?! Tut-tut!

    But yay for a most eclectic read! Amazing!! Very interesting about JK's book. I'm on the waiting list for my library's copy!! :-)

    Good luck with your on going reading challenge - I think for me 50 books in 5 years is still a bit much for me to cope so am it total awe! I tend to read maximum 4 books a year.. (hangs head in shame!!). Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! Thanks for the overview of some interesting books. I have purchased J.K. Rowling's book, Casual Vacancy, but have not read it yet. I had heard the same comment you made about the pace. (I love the new look for your blog!)

      Delete
  2. Don't be put off by my J.K comments. Both of you may have a different experiences. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Eyre is one of my fav classics. I read it for the firt time the summer beefore I turned 15 after my mom died and we were living in a new location. I went through a lot of books that summer from my suggested reading list for college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to dispute the greatness of Jane Eyre because (I'm being biased here) it's a personal favorite. The Land of Decoration sounds interesting. I'm still curious to read Casual Vacancy. Honestly, mixed reviews everywhere are giving me mixed emotions, so I think it's better for me to read and decide for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More Jane Eyre fans.

    I'm hoping to read more Bronte works this year for The Classics Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the books you posted, especially POSSESSED by Niki Valentine. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. POSSESSED looks really good! Love the cover. Wow...28 books. That's really good, actually, an average of one every 2 weeks. I wonder how many I read--I didn't keep track. Though it was more than usual, I don't think it was 28!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorothy, Carol, it was a good book. It kept me out of the sun for a few hours, as I couldn't put it down.

    Carol, I've read so many books that I wished I'd kept a record so that I could go back and re-read my favourites. I can do that now that I have my bookworm library.

    ReplyDelete