Tuesday, 13 November 2012

HELLO NaNo Inspired

Last year I won NaNo and finished my first novel The Junk Room. Whilst researching some of the items that feature in the book, I was taken back to my childhood, and recalled the annuals I was bought every Christmas.                                                                                                                                                  
                                       
I had a look on Amazon for June and recognised this one as one I'd owned. I confess I felt overwhelmed and had to buy it. When it arrived, I was transported back in time; thirty-three years. Those stories that I'd loved and forgotten came flooding back with every page I turned. Bessie Bunter featured a lot in this issue.            
                                                                                                                      

It was then that I suddenly remembered the Mandy annuals, and my favourite story. I had to find out which one it was in. I googled on and off trying to find the story about a girl (whose surname I remembered was Granger), who finds out her gran is an alien. 

In the mean time, I began making notes for NaNo 2012, and I was inspired by this favourite comic story. My story is called 'Thick Skinned,' a YA book about 14 year old Al (Alfie) who believes his Nana is caught up in some alien infiltration.

Eventually, a couple of months ago, I was lucky to stumble across this blog, during a search, and found 'That's Not My Gran.' Needless to say, I bought it and loved it again.


It would have been fun to find my name written inside the front page in the: 'this book belongs to...' section.

What's inspired you?

Have you, like me, remembered a gem from your childhood that has left you feeling happy?

If you could travel back to your childhood, what one item would you bring back?

NaNo? Well, I'm not sure I'll be a winner this year. At present I'm stuck on 15329 words. I will keep plodding on, but I have work 'things' to contend with. Writerly-wise, I'm sending 'The Wind Knows my Name'  to the Francis Lincoln Diverse Voice Children's Book Award 2013 (mentioned in blog post 31/12/11), so I'm busy with that too. 

3 comments:

  1. Love these annuals!! I think I had a Jackie one? I think it was called Jackie?

    Awwww huge huge YAY for submitting to the Book Award!! How exciting! I have everything crossed for you!!! Yay!! Go, Girl!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Old Kitty.

      Am sending it next month. Will blog with any progress that it makes.

      Delete
  2. I love the covers, Debbie. Keep going on NaNo - you're doing great! The gem that inspired me from my childhood would be Heidi, by Johanna Spyri. A few years later it was the Nancy Drew Books. (I still read one once in a while! ^_^)

    ReplyDelete