Saturday, 2 June 2012

HELLO God Save the Queen

Today is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee: a celebration to mark sixty years since her coronation. I wasn't going to post about the Queen, however, a funny thing happened the other day with Hubby's new iPad.


QUEEN ELIZABETH II
DIAMONDS
ARE A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND

After hogging the thing for hours, I was allowed to have a look at it and investigate its features. Naturally, I went to the writing facilities and was surprised at how easy it was to type on the screen. Typing on the virtual keyboard resulted in the ironic sound of an old fashioned manual typewriter.

A great feature - well I was amused by it - was the voice recognition, where I could say something and it would translate it into text on the screen. Cool! It got the odd word or two wrong, and sometimes came up with its on interpretations. It got me thinking. What if...?

... I narrated an iconic song for the iPad to translate? Of course, God Save the Queen. I only know the first verse, so I repeated it a few times with interesting results.

Please be upstanding for the national anthem.




A MIND OF ITS OWN


OFF WITH HER HEAD!

Sorry, Your Majesty.

Needless to say, I wouldn't advice creating your novel this way. Maybe I need to learn the Queen's English.

And so, the festivities are unleashed upon the masses with street parties to last four days.



HAPPY JUBILEE, MA'AM

Are you celebrating? Or watching from overseas? Or working like me?










10 comments:

  1. LOL!!!! Well I'd stand on ceremony and sing along to this if such were the words! LOL!! Kidding!! Off with my head too and having watched Horrible Histories - now know these phrases "standing on ceremony" and "off with her head" are phrases invented by The Bard himself! Well I never!!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that show. I particularly like 'Stupid Deaths,' The Wives of Henry VIII and the Born to Rule songs.

      Language is fascinating: people forget where it all originates. NB: no animals were hurt in the following idiom - 'not enough room to swing a cat.'

      Delete
  2. Oh, this did make me giggle!
    Happy Jubilee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This application is fun. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. According to the U.S. news networks, it looks like you Brits are having a jolly good time! I love your post, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. I think a lot of people have enjoyed an extended weekend, and as a result, no one knows what day of the week it is.

      Delete
  4. I've seen a few of the festivities on telly from here in Australia :)

    Must try the dictation app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with that, Charmaine. It's a giggle.

      Delete
  5. I've only just found this post but it did make me laugh. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete