Saturday, 19 May 2012

HELLO A Classics Challenge

Literary Movement is the prompt for May - A Classics Challenge.

The book I am reading this month is ...

Back cover blurb:
'...one of the great romantic heroines of world literature.'

Jane Eyre was written in 1847 in the period that encompasses the literary movement of Romanticism, 1800-1860.  This quote (wiki) neatly sums up the book.

           ''In literature, Romanticism found recurrent themes in the evocation 
            or criticism of the past, the cult of 'sensibility' with its emphasis  
            on women and children, the heroic isolation of the artist or narrator, 
            and respect for a new, wilder, untrammelled and 'pure' nature.'' 
                                                                                                    

Jane Eyre is the protagonist and narrator of the story, which is written in the first person. We are taken on a highly emotional journey from childhood to adulthood, where Jane is confronted with many of the themes of Romanticism exploring: isolation, social criticism, sense of morality, sexuality, feminism, love and religion.

Despite her youth and troubled background there is a strong woman with a sense of individuality and determination. Jane knows her own mind and rises to the challenges put her way to eventually find  love.

This is a reread (number ?). I love this book. What of the other Romanticists? There are many that I would read including: Charlotte's sister Emily Bronte who wrote Wuthering Heights - published the same year, and Jane Austin.

I'll leave you with this picture featuring my favourite Jane and Edward from the 2006 BBC dramatisation.

Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson

                               

15 comments:

  1. Great book! I should reread this one soon as well. I have not seen the BBC movie yet, I am going to have to see if I can watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get the chance, you must watch it.

      Delete
  2. Great classic for sure! I have not seen the BBC dramatization either, but would love to. Here in the States my main source of all things British is PBS - Downton Abbey is extremely popular. I'll keep my eye open to see if they ever air your recommendation. All the best, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the classics I won't tire of coming back to, time and time again.

      Delete
  3. Ah a classic and one of my favourites ever! This is first book where I wept without shame towards the second to the last chapter (Jane finds Mr Rochester, a broken man, blinded, his house all burned down etc) - the last chapter being a bit weird - where the cousin goes off to India! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm sure to find other favourites in this challenge, but this has always been a firm one for me.

      Delete
  4. I love this novel and Toby Stephens is my favourite Rochester ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the best, isn't he? Sigh!

      Delete
  5. I actually haven't read this book... in fact there are huge gaps in my classic reading, something I need to work upon! I think it is because I want to find the perfect edition of each - the perfect binding, the right size for my hands - and I imagine I'll wander into a secondhand book shop and the right one will be there waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of JE too! Sometimes I think this book is the quintessential book of the Romantic movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only Bronte book I have read. It'll be interesting to read all the book by the sister's, to compare/contrast their styles.

      Delete
  7. Jane Eyre is a a great book! I really like the 2006 adaptation, Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens capture the characters very well. Thanks for participating, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sat out in the sun, enjoying the weather and finishing the book. I was left happy and smiling on both accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jane Eyre! Love love love it! So happy I stumbled across your blog! I'm made myself at home.
    Annette of http://impressionsinink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane Eyre is the perfect introduction to newbie classics readers.

    Thanks for stumbling here. I'll be stepping by your way shortly.

    ReplyDelete