Wednesday, 11 April 2012

HELLO A Classics Challenge

April's prompt for A Classics Challenge is THE BOOK COVER. 

I am currently reading...

1992 EDITION
Twenty years ago I bought this book, and for some reason couldn't get into it; I never got past the first two chapters. Some years later I tried again, and the same happened. I don't know why. But, I kept the book all these years because I knew I would eventually read it through. Currently I'm on chapter seven.

The book cover does capture the essence of the book. You have the house - Manderley - the narrator/MC - Mrs de Winter. She is pictured here: young, forlorn, vulnerable, and partially obscuring the house, which adds to the mystery. What is being hidden? There is suspense here. From what I have read so far, this place - Manderley - has a personality of its own.

Compare this with the first edition.

1938 FIRST EDITION 

I quite like this bright cover even though it doesn't tell you much about the story. That's what images do. You kind of expect faces on the cover, especially if the title of the book is the name of someone. Later editions incorporate: Mrs de Winter (we never find out her first name), Rebecca, Mrs Danvers, Maxim de Winter, and Manderley.


1969 EDITION

1962 EDITION

1971 EDITION
1962 EDITION

2003 EDITION
Which cover do you prefer?

What would I have chosen? A combination of the 1962 Penguin cover and the 2003 edition.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS

EDIT: Yay, I finished reading Rebecca 14/4/12. Why did I wait so long? It was a superb read.










17 comments:

  1. What a great post, Debbie. It's amazing how each cover conveys a completely different mood. I have a few classics I've always had trouble finishing as well. I have never read this one - I will definitely put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to judge a book by it's cover. Even e-books have them. I always check them out even though it takes you to the first reading page.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that was thorough! I read somewhere that Daphne was Mrs de Winter's first name, in an early draft. It's a common name now, but then it was an exotic name used by those into Greek mythology, and most people couldn't spell it. (Hence the narrator's surprise that Max could spell her name).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that Daphne was possibly her name. There's always a wonder in a book that keeps secrets from the reader.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I do like the 1938 first edition! It's so art nouveau! But it says absolutely nothing about what to expect within the pages - and I love that the words "a new novel" is repeated twice! Yay!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many books that have no images on the cover. This edition would jump off the shelf though, wouldn't it?

      Delete
  4. I have the 1971 version myself, and always thought it was a terrific cover, capturing the mystery and threat of Rebecca with the vulnerability of the nameless heroine. I think the original cover just dreadful--very dull, in my opinion.

    The 2003 version is appealing, but the one you created is the best.

    Hope you eventually find Rebecca to be enjoyable. I've read it many times and think it terrific--DDM was a superb writer in her genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to get to Manderley.

      Delete
  5. That's such an amazing book. So many twists. I didn't even realize that we never know the first name of the main character. How subtle is that?

    I like the 1971 author name but I like the 2003 cover picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy suspense, so I'm going to stick with this.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I like that first cover, but I totally agree that the best would be like The Awakening pic. Lovely! Even if the trees weren't bowed out like that, it has great atmosphere. I don't think I've ever read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I randomly found the Awakening pic, and it was just what I had in mind.

      Delete
  7. I like the 1962 edition cover the best. I liked this book when I read it many years ago, I hope you end up liking it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What did you think of the book, after you final got past the first two chapters? I have this on my shelf to read later in the year. It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqui, I finished Rebecca last night, and loved it. At first I wanted to savour it, but as the circle of characters came alive, to add their bit of the story, I just couldn't put it down.

      Delete