Sunday, 11 March 2012

HELLO How Does Your Garden Grow?

It's great to be out without a jumper or coat. It's a pleasant, sunny 13 degrees in Yorkshire today, and I've been gardening.


THE LITTLE FELLOW IS WILF

AND THIS IS HIS WIFE WILMA
The pots had been neglected over winter. There was vegetation that needed my attention, but whenever I pegged the washing out back, I ignored it. The cold was my excuse. When it's a little warmer, I thought, I'd be out there, with my green fingers, ready to tackle all sorts. That day arrived.

I enjoyed the time spent getting rid of the dry stalks, leaves and stray weeds; sweeping up and emptying collection bags of dirt. Then it was time to open the wormery.


EVERY GNOME SHOULD HAVE ONE
When I bought it, I loved the fact that this was the ultimate recycler. The worms in their house (wormery), waiting for my discarded raw vegetables, egg shells and kitchen paper to feast on. In return I would be rewarded with compost and bio-feed. I just had to maintain equilibrium of moisture, temperature, acidity, and food. I'm sorry to say, that as the food mounted up, they too were forgotten in the winter months.

SORRY 

It's not bad news though: us worms stick together. I looked in on the chaps, and the food store has gone down, they aren't water logged, and I'm glad to say my lovely worms live. Hoorah!


THANKS FOR YOUR GIFT
Around April/May last year, I decided to grow some vegetables and I will be doing the same this year. I successfully grew them all from seed, tended to them regularly and produced crops to supplement the summer meals.


MY LITTLE CROP IN POTS


CARROTS AND SPRING ONIONS


COURGETTE WITH EDIBLE FLOWER


CHERRY TOMS

COURGETTE, SPRING ONIONS, CARROT, 
BEETROOT, LETTUCE


RADISHES

TODAY'S LABOUR: TOMORROW'S FRUIT
GREEN FINGERS CROSSED
Do you have my enthusiasm for gardening? Or does the feel of slugs, snails and worms put you off? If you do grow food, what prompted you? What successes have you had? 

23 comments:

  1. OH wow!!! Oh I am absolutely in AWE at your wonderful potted garden! Look at your healthy crop from last year!! I love it!! Yay!!! Aww and your wormery thing is a great success - they survived! Yay! I just know your crop this year will be as lovely! Good for you!

    I love gardening - but tend to grow flowers in pots with a couple of strawberries and a few herbs. Nothing as lush as yours though!

    Yay! Big wave to Wilma and Wilf! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Old Kitty.

      I'm hoping to succeed-ha ha no pun intended-again with the salad. The rocket was sooo yummy.

      Delete
  2. That's look awesome! My hubby, now that he's retired, is hoping to do some gardening this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna.

      I'm a little possessive of my pots. If Hubby wanted to muscle in, he'd have to have his own corner. He's not interested though. At least, not yet.

      Delete
  3. Love your post! I, too, enjoy gardening. While I mostly tend to a flower garden in spring, a couple of years ago I started a vegetable garden. It was great meeting Wilf and Wilma! Happy gardening, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria.

      Gardening is another creative outlet that I enjoy. My daughter reckons I tend to the plants like they are children.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Debbie. Thanks for following. OMG your garden looks so organised and tidy. Mine is so not. I've tried growing stuff before - some success - some definitely not successful. Carrots seemed to be a problem for me and I got about three strawberries, which my dog Lily ate off the bush before I could get to them. Wilma and Wilf look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valentina.

      Unfortunately, last year I knocked Wilf over and he broke his leg. He's wedged between the pots there. I don't think he minds much.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Valentina.

      Unfortunately, last year I knocked Wilf over and he broke his leg. He's wedged between the pots there. I don't think he minds much.

      Delete
  5. Great pics. I love your garden. My friend has a wormery.
    I was just thinking myself 'It's great to be out without a jumper or coat' I'm enjoying the sunshine and birdsong. I'm a gardener in spirit but get easily disillusioned when the slugs rain and gales nuke everything and then hubby 'tidies' the rest. Also with raynauds I tend to stay in otherwise I'm sure i'd be an avid gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeleine.

      Last year the slugs feasted on my petunias, which was annoying.

      I can empathise a little with the cold. I don't do it. That's way I rejoiced in the sun. Having ice cold, painful hands, with no sensation is no joy.

      Delete
  6. Hi Debbie,

    You have a lovely garden. I grow flowers and hubby gows food so between us we manage a good bit of gardening, LoL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your blog and I liked the content. From today I am a follower of yours, if you want to invite you to visit my blog, if you like it, I would like to have you as a follower on my blog to keep in touch.
      For the translation, I have helped Google Translator
      With warm regards.
      Manoli.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nela.

      What a fabulous blog. I've already posted over there and am now following.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Nas.

      It's good to share a hobby. Hubby does like mowing the grass. Men and their machines.

      Delete
  7. It's lovely when the weather improves isn't it. Your garden looks very impressive. I'm sorry to say neither my hubby nor I are very green fingered. Our garden is quite low maintenance, luckily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rebecca.

    I hope it looks this way in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've loved gardening every since I was a kid! I just love a garden full of flowers and fruits! Unfortunately I haven't done much the last few years because I always seemed to put it off (or my parents didn't have time to go with me to buy flowers)until it was too late :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to sit in a quiet garden, admiring your handy work.

      Delete
  10. Hi Debbie! You have won an award, pop over to my blog for the details. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed by your vegetable crop! It's so nice to grow your own food, I swear it tastes nicer than any bought in shops. My dad used to grow runner-beans, half the fun was picking them for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, they truly do taste nicer. Even my daughter, who's not keen on rocket, ate mine last year.

      Delete