Saturday, 4 February 2012

HELLO A Classics Challenge

The character I am focusing on for February's Prompt is Alice, from Through the Looking Glass.  This is how I picture her.

ALICE
The actress is Tina Majorino who played Alice in the 1999 film of Alice in Wonderland. It was the 16th film version based on both books featuring Alice, written by Lewis Carroll. I recorded this version off the t.v and watched it endlessly with my daughter, when she was little. Tina is my favourite Alice because she shows us how vulnerable Alice is. I adore the scene at the end when she sings this song.

Alice is always described as precocious, because she is forward and inquisitive. Alice questions everyone and everything, and in this reverse world of chess, there are many puzzling things that need answering. Being imaginative leads her to be a lonely child who seeks comfort in her fantasy world. She shows considerable determination and fearlessness, as she stands her ground with the Red Queen, even appearing more intelligent than the adults, and other characters.

In, Through the Looking Glass, Alice is on a journey to become a queen-an adult. The symbolism that can be  interpreted from book is endless.

I like Alice. Her self doubt makes her relatable. I appreciate the fact that she challenges life. What is reality? And, she can make sense of her imagination.

This is what Alice would say if we met.

'You are a curious thing, aren't you? Your imagination is just as ridiculous as my own. I've often heard people talk about what utter nonsense it is-this world we live in-but isn't it such fun? We should swap mirrors sometime.'


22 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post, Debbie! I just reread Alice's Adventures in Wonderland last month. Must reread Through the Looking Glass.
    I've never seen a film version of Alice, I heard of the recent one with Mia W. but I generally don't like Tim Burton's films. I must look up this version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine.

      I must say, I find Burton's work rather sinister.

      Delete
  2. You know, I own Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and I've never read any of them! I do remember seeing part of this version of Alice, but I may need to watch the whole thing. The Disney version scared me as a child, so that may have put me off much to do with Alice. I love your perspective on her, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura.

      There have been a lot of versions, but this is my favourite.

      Delete
  3. Isn't she just wonderful? Love what she'll say to you if - when you do cross paths! Curiouser and curioser! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Old Kitty.

      I hadn't realised, until I read this book, that I'd created an 'Alice mirror' in my NANO novel last Nov. The girl in my mirror had a yellow dress too. Spooky!

      Delete
  4. Lovely--I vaguely remember this movie version and I love what she'd say to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up on Alice in Wonderland but I REALLY need to read them again.

    I remember watching that TV version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad read Alice to me many times when I was young--it was one of his favorite books, so it was a treat to read your character sketch of her. You're right, the symbolism is all there, but the story (as fantasy for kids) holds up well.

    I've never seen this movie--I loved the soundtrack to the Fiona Fullerton musical version, and had all those songs memorized when I was young.

    This must be a good movie to feature a brunette (gasp!) as Alice, and in a yellow (gasp!) and not a blue dress. What a limb that director went out on... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane.

      Loved the books. Loved this film.

      Delete
  7. I didn't read either of the books until I was an adult but I've always loved the craziness of it all. My youngest son adored the books so I spent a lot of time reading them to him at bedtime. Then we moved on to the land of Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the Narnia books, especially The Magician's Nephew. I always wanted to find a ring like Digory and Polly's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie ~ My WIP actually mentions the book, Alice in Wonderland, in the text; so I am reading it right now! Your blog is awesome. All the best ~ Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria.

      Ditto your blog. I'll be looking forward to Wednesday's, for Whimsical Word of the Week.

      Delete
  10. My Fav Alice in Wonderland is the 1933 black and white version that presents it like a nightmare instead of something whimsical. It is so much more powerful/ believable like that ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Madeleine.

    I've not come across that one, but I'm sure I'll catch it on TCM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot believe I have never read Alice in Wonderland. I read so many classics with my daughter when she was little, I don't know how we missed Alice! Loved what Alice would say to you, Alice was a great pick for February's character questions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Anne.

    I enjoyed this month's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really must reread Alice one day. My memories are all from my childhood and I'm sure I'd find a whole more to appreciate as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cat.

      I think you do get a different take on a book when you read it again as an adult.

      Delete