Wednesday, 17 August 2011

HELLO Dentist

I did have another blog on the go called I am Swan, which I have just transferred to its own page on Bookworm Bites Back (BWBB). All part of the revamp. There will be more correspondence from Swan in the near future.

Today, I have had a jaw-breaking experience. I hate to use this word -literally- but it was literally that. At a time I should have been enjoying a leisurely day off work, I found myself prone where I stayed for 1 1/2 hours. With my mouth open, obviously. Sorry, did I say I went to the dentist? I went to the dentist this morning for a root canal.

Well, I'd only ever had a couple of fillings when I was younger, so this was a new experience for me, and one I shall not be having again. (Hopefully). The injection was fine and lasted for 6 hours, though this left me unable to drink properly without feeling as if I had a hole in the side of my face. Also, as I had to pick up the Kerrang! magazine (for my daughter) from the local shop, I became conscious that my face was lopsided, and my need to appear happy with my lot was lost in my tragic smile/grimace. When I got home I looked in the mirror and it was all good; parallel but numb.

I kept my eyes closed for the duration listening to Gossip. Specifically, Beth Ditto singing Standing In The Way Of Control, repeatedly in my radio-head. This was interspersed by Manfred Mann's Ho Ho Said The Clown. At least my own musings were less grating on the ear than the drill-of-a-thousand-mice-scraping-their-nails-on-a-chalkboard. I cringed. Inwardly. Didn't want the dentist's hand to slip.

Just when I thought it wouldn't end; the drilling, the pulling, the scraping and pushing. It was all over, bar the singing from the checkout. When I said  jaw-breaking, I had visions of me like this. And then I got the bill. Well, you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment